We all know Chanel. Chanel is one of the top designer brands in the world. But, if your budget isn’t constantly expanding (and already large) is it worth the splurge? We’ve outlined the reasons it might just be worth it along with reasons you might want to hold off until income is a bit more expendable. Let’s start with the reasons you should!
When it comes to high fashion, few brands can rival Chanel. The French luxury goods company has been synonymous with style and sophistication since its founding in 1909, and its iconic designer, Coco Chanel, is credited with popularizing the little black dress. Today, the brand continues to be coveted by celebrities and fashionistas alike for its timeless designs and luxurious materials. But what exactly makes Chanel worth the money?
Here are four factors that contribute to the Chanel high price tag:
- Exclusive materials: Chanel is known for using only the finest materials in its garments and accessories. The brand sources its wool from a prestigious Italian mill that produces fabrics for other high-end designers like Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana. Similarly, Chanel’s leather goods are made with lambskin that is sourced from a small number of tanneries in France. This exclusivity means that Chanel can charge a premium for its products.
- Superior craftsmanship: In addition to using exclusive materials, Chanel also employs some of the best craftsmen in the fashion industry. The brand’s garments are constructed with meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that each piece is of the highest quality possible. This level of craftsmanship comes at a price, but it’s one that many shoppers are willing to pay for a garment that will last them a lifetime.
- “It” factor: There’s no denying that part of what makes Chanel so desirable is the “it” factor – an intangible quality that makes the brand instantly recognizable and covetable. From iconic pieces like quilted handbags to signature fragrance No5., Chanel has built up an enviable cache over the years which only adds to its desirability (and price tag).
- Exclusivity: Finally, Chanel commands such a high price tag is due to its exclusivity. The brand produces limited quantities of each design, making it difficult (and often expensive) to get your hands on certain pieces. This scarcity only adds to Chanel’s allure, further cementing its reputation as one of the most sought-after labels in fashion.
While there will always be reasons why splurging on Chanel is worth it, it’s important to take a look at both sides of the coin.
Here are a few reasons why it might be smarter to hold off on your big Chanel splurge.
- Some people believe that the quality of the bag does not justify the cost. While Chanel bags are made with high-quality materials, some people feel that other designer brands offer similar quality at a lower price point.
- Chanel bags may not last as long as other luxury handbags on the market due to their delicate construction. For example, many Chanel bags are made with quilted leather, which can easily become damaged if it rubs against rough surfaces or gets wet.
- Many Channel bagstyles remain relatively unchanged from year to year which can make them appear dated after awhile.
There will always be reasons not to splurge. And those reasons are extremely valid. However, if you commit to the splurge, Chanel might be a fantastic bet. Between their uniquely luxurious craftsmanship, extreme attention to detail, and famous history, Chanel is not going away as a top designer brand anytime soon.